Child Support

Palmdale Child Support Attorney

Pursuing the Best Interests of Your Family

Child support refers to the amount of money that the court can order one parent to provide to the other upon divorce for the upkeep of the child. If you would like to resolve an issue involving child support, our Palmdale divorce lawyer can help you through each step of your case. At the Law Offices of John C. Bigler, we are dedicated to providing clients with the legal attention they need. During a case evaluation, we determine their goals for child support and pursue that end result.

Contact a Certified  Family Law Specialist
Schedule a consultation with Attorney Bigler by calling 661-368-1181.

Child Support Payments in California

Payments can be made once every month for support of one or multiple children. Payments are often made until the child turns 18 or 19 as long as he or she meets the following requirements:

  • Is in school full time
  • Lives at home
  • Cannot support himself / herself

If both parents agree to a longer support period, this can be ordered or approved by the court. In some cases, the court may order both parents to continue to support the child if he or she is a disabled adult and is not self-supporting.

How Child Support Orders Are Enforced

After a child support order has been established, it is important to ensure that payments are made on time and in full. Unfortunately, not all parents comply with their child support obligations, which can cause financial hardship for the custodial parent and the child. Our experienced Palmdale child support lawyers can help enforce court orders and hold non-paying parents accountable.

Some ways we can help enforce child support orders include:

  • Filing a motion for contempt: If a parent fails to make child support payments, we can file a motion for contempt with the court. This can result in penalties such as wage garnishment, suspension of driver's license, or even jail time.
  • Seeking wage garnishment: We can also seek a wage garnishment order, which requires the non-paying parent's employer to deduct child support payments from their paycheck and send them directly to the custodial parent.
  • Intercepting tax refunds: In certain situations, we can intercept a non-paying parent's tax refund and apply it towards their child support debt.

Contact a Palmdale Child Support Lawyer Today

At the Law Offices of John C. Bigler, we understand the importance of child support payments and will work tirelessly to ensure that your family receives the financial support it deserves. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with a skilled Palmdale child support lawyer.

How is child support determined?

California determines child support orders based on specific guidelines. Determining which parent will receive child support and how much is based on several factors. The judge can determine support based on evaluating the following:

  • The income of both parents
  • The health insurance of both parents
  • The tax filing status of each parent
  • The number of children
  • The type of child custody award

When trying to obtain child support, you will likely need a strong and experienced Palmdale divorce lawyer to assist you. Under California's Agnos Minimum Child Support Standards Act, noncustodial parents can be required to pay the minimum amount of payments to provide the child with assistance with medical and educational needs.

Contact our firm to schedule an assessment of your child support case today! Our Palmdale child support attorney is ready to discuss your case!

Contact our certified family law specialist today by calling 661-368-1181
Former Client  Reviews

Mr. Bigler, as well as his staff, have my best interests at heart.

- A. Sansfield
  • Who can receive visitation rights?

    Visitation is ordered when it is the best interest of the child in California. Supervised visitation is imposed when one parent is abusive or neglectful to the children. Visitation can often be ...

  • What if I was married in another state but I want to file for divorce in California?

    If you and your spouse were married in another state, you can file for divorce in California. The only requirement is that either you or your spouse must have lived in the state for six months and in ...

  • What is a first right of refusal?

    A first right of refusal in a family law context is the opportunity to care for your children when your ex is unavailable to care for them. Family code section 3040(a)(1) sets out the 'priorities' ...

  • Who can receive spousal support?

    Spousal support, formerly known as alimony, is a set amount of money that is paid by one spouse to another in the case of divorce or a legal separation. Whether you are the husband or the wife, you ...

We Take Complex Cases All the Way to the End

Call 661-368-1181 to Get Started

Contact Us
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy