Experienced Relocation

Child Relocation Attorney in California

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, more than half a million people leave California on a yearly basis. On top of that, an average of 315 people a day move from Los Angeles County to somewhere else in the state! These staggering statistics impact thousands of children and their divorced parents.

Whatever the reason for the move, families involved in this situation face a complex legal process. If you are seeking to move with your child out of the area or are seeking to prevent the relocation, our experienced lawyer can guide you through the legalities involved. Fill out our case evaluation to get started.

Contact a Certified  Family Law Specialist
Schedule a consultation with Attorney Bigler by calling 661-368-1181.

What happens if one parent wants to move away?

No matter the reason motivating a move, divorced spouses in these circumstances face tough decisions on how best to maintain the child's relationships with both parents. If one parent challenges the move, things can get legally and emotionally complicated.

Either parent, whether it be the one desiring to move or the one seeking to block the relocation of a child, can bring their case to the courts. The viewpoint of the judge, however, depends on the current custody arrangement and visitation plan. For families with sole custody arrangements, California law grants a presumptive right to the primary custodial parent. The opposing parent has to prove it would be harmful to the child if they were to leave the area. For parents with joint custody, no such presumption is given. In both cases, the judge will make his or her decision on what's in the best interest of the child.

The court will look at many factors during relocation hearings in determining what is in the child's best interests, including:

  • Length of time the current custody order has been in place
  • Stability of the child's current environment
  • Child's age
  • Relationship of the child with both parents
  • How the move will affect co-parenting abilities
  • Where the child wishes to live
  • Validity of the reason to move

The Law Offices of John C. Bigler is ready to represent you in your child relocation case!

If are dealing with the difficult situation of child relocation, our certified family law specialist can help you unravel the intricacies of California law and provide you with empathetic and expert representation! We recognize the importance of preserving the relationship you have with your child!

Contact us today to begin your child relocation case.

Contact our certified family law specialist today by calling 661-368-1181
Former Client  Reviews

Mr. Bigler, as well as his staff, have my best interests at heart.

- A. Sansfield
  • What if I was married in another state but I want to file for divorce in California?

    If you and your spouse were married in another state, you can file for divorce in California. The only requirement is that either you or your spouse must have lived in the state for six months and in ...

  • Who can receive visitation rights?

    Visitation is ordered when it is the best interest of the child in California. Supervised visitation is imposed when one parent is abusive or neglectful to the children. Visitation can often be ...

  • Who can receive spousal support?

    Spousal support, formerly known as alimony, is a set amount of money that is paid by one spouse to another in the case of divorce or a legal separation. Whether you are the husband or the wife, you ...

  • What is a first right of refusal?

    A first right of refusal in a family law context is the opportunity to care for your children when your ex is unavailable to care for them. Family code section 3040(a)(1) sets out the 'priorities' ...

We Take Complex Cases All the Way to the End

Call 661-368-1181 to Get Started

Contact Us
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy